Plan sponsors that offer prescription drug coverage must provide notices of credible or non-credible coverage to Medicare-eligible individuals before each year’s annual enrollment period.
Credible coverage means that the coverage is expected to pay as much as the standard Medicare drug coverage. Notices to Part D-eligible individuals (age 65 and older, active employees, retirees, COBRA participants and dependents) now must be provided:
• Before October 15 each year,
• Before an individual’s initial enrollment period for Part D,
• Before the effective date of coverage for any Medicare-eligible individual who joins an employer plan,
• Whenever prescription drug coverage ends or creditable coverage status changes, or
• Upon the individual’s request.