- Curt and Suzie Boyd started Academy Roofing in 1980. Curt had worked as a roofer during summer breaks and holidays when he was a student at the University of Wyoming. After graduating in December, 1976 with a degree in Math Education, Curt decided to return to roofing and look for a teaching job for the next school year. The rest, as they say, is history. The local roofing company where Curt was working soon promoted him to the position of Field Superintendent and also hired Suzie to assist with payroll duties. Four years later, Curt and Suzie decided to strike out on their own and Academy Roofing was born!
- Academy Roofing doesn’t typically use subcontractors to perform their work. The vast majority of the roofs installed by the company are by the company’s own employees. This is highly unusual, especially in a residential roofing company. And, although many roofing companies may have employees, they are usually paid by piecework style, while Academy’s employees are paid by the hour. In this way, Academy Roofing is able to exert more control over the roofing project to ensure complete customer satisfaction.
- Academy Roofing has won numerous awards for Jobs of the Year from the Colorado Roofing Association. In addition, the National Roofing Contractors Association recognized one of the company’s employees, Jim Dieckman, with a Most Valuable Player Award at its annual convention in Las Vegas in 2014. This award is given to the “best of the best” in the industry. Mr. Dieckman has been an employee of the company for over 30 years. And, the company was named the National Residential Roofing Contractor of the Year in 2008 by Roofing Contractor Magazine. Numerous other awards and commendations hang in the company office in Aurora.
- Suzie Boyd is a member of the Board of Directors of the National Roofing Contractors Association and the National Roofing Legal Resource Center. Curt is past president of the Colorado Roofing Association and currently serves on the Education Committee and the Awards Dinner Committee for that organization.
- Although Academy Roofing was known for many years as one of Denver’s largest residential roofing contractors, the company added commercial roofing to its portfolio in 2006 and has grown this side of the business to a respectable level since that time. Some of the company’s projects in the commercial arena include apartment complexes, churches, schools, hotels and office buildings. The company also offers gutter and downspout services and has a service and repair division for both residential and commercial customers.
Five Things You May Not Know About Academy Roofing