- The Action Center (originally Jeffco Action Center) was founded in 1968 as a non-profit dedicated to helping those facing hunger, homelessness and financial instability. In 1971, a total of 21 families benefited from The Action Center. In 2014, The Action Center provided services to 30,000 unduplicated individuals. Services include a five-day supply of food from the Self-Select Grocery, clothing and household items, shelter, case management, resources to community partnerships, and three seasonal programs (Santa Shop, Thanksgiving Distribution and School Supply Distribution)
- Aside from providing basic needs like food and clothing, The Action Center works closely with clients to help them reach their pathway to self-sufficiency. Every client must meet with a Volunteer Client Advocate or Case Manager prior to receiving any services in order to get to the root of what is causing their financial instability.
- The Action Center operates the only shelter program available to men, women, couples and families in Jefferson County, Colorado. Residents are in the shelter program for 45 days, and must be actively employed, seeking employment or in school.
- Over 95% of The Action Center’s financial support is provided by individuals, companies, churches and foundations in the community. They also request donations of food, clothing, toys and school supplies. In 2014, The Action Center distributed 782,085 meals, 186,831 items of clothing, 6,875 individual Thanksgiving meals, 5,194 school supplies to students in need and 3,669 holiday toys.
- The Action Center participates in the Colorado Enterprise Zone Tax Credit program. Financial donations of $100 or more qualify for a 25% state tax credit! To make a financial donation, or to learn more about The Action Center, visit www.theactioncenterco.org.
Five Things You May Not Know About The Action Center