A recent Express Personnel survey finds 83 of employers find it somewhat or very difficult to fill vacancies; this underscores the tight labor market and the importance of retaining employees, especially top performers, as a vital strategy to deal with workforce shortages.
This survey reports that employees value employment with employers who offer:
- Job satisfaction
- Work life balance
- Fair and competitive compensation
- Individualized benefits and flexible workplace practices
A separate survey of the Washington D.C. area workforce, where Amazon will hire thousands of talented locals for its new HQ2, has put area employers on high alert:
- 51% of workers would consider applying to work at HQ2
- 71% of IT workers would consider applying to work at HQ2
Eagle Hill Consulting offers these questions for employers everywhere to evaluate the workplace experience they offer employees in hopes of boosting retention:
- What makes employees happy in their jobs?
- What can we do to help employees juggle their work and personal obligations?
- How are stress levels in the workplace and can we reduce them?
- Do we have a culture that empowers our workforce?
- Do employees feel fairly compensated?
Taken together, the message to employers in a tight job market is clear: love your employees, or lose them!
Contact Employers Council today for these resources and services to improve employee retention:
- Benchmarking compensation, benefits and time off survey data
- Customized compensation planning assistance
- Training and coaching to improve supervisor effectiveness
- Teamwork and soft skill building classes for all staff levels
- Best practice guidance and consultation from Organizational Development professionals
- Customized employee engagement survey creation and analysis