According to information released earlier this year, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement office (ICE) has recently issued over 3,000 Notices of Inspections to employers. The Notice of Inspection informs an employer that ICE is auditing their Form I-9’s and other related information. Employers only have three days to turn over their Forms. If errors are found, employers can face up to $2,292 in fines per Form.
Because it is often too late to make corrections to Form I-9’s when a Notice of Inspection is received, Employers Council recommends that employers self-audit their Forms on a regular basis. Proactive efforts to ensure compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), the law that requires employers to complete the Form I-9 for all new employees, helps to ensure that errors do not occur, and if they do, they are corrected before the employer is surprised by a Notice of Inspection from ICE.
Employers Council has many ways to assist our members.
Resources Included with Membership
- Call our experienced staff with specific questions on the ICE audit process or how to audit your form I-9s.
- Use tools available to you as part of your membership, including:
- Form I-9 Verification Checklist
- Auditing Forms I-9 FYI accessible through the member portal of the website
Resources Available Exclusively to Members at a Reduced Cost
- Training: We offer classes to fit your need and experience level.
- I-9 Audit: Don’t have the time or resources? Our experienced team of professionals will conduct an audit of your organization’s I-9 forms and processes.